From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Thu, 07 May 2020 03:32:03
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 10:14 PM Caveman Al Toraboran
3 > <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> are you referring to python's dependence on expat
5 >> and glibc?
6 >>
7 > More like bash's dependence. Well, and in the case of glibc just
8 > about everything. When those break you're basically stuck recovering
9 > from a rescue disk.
10 >
11 > Fortunately we haven't had glibc/gcc break ABI in quite a while, and
12 > preserved-rebuild covers a lot of the other issues.
13 >
14 > In any case, if you have a solution other than statically building
15 > half the system I'm sure patches will be welcome. FWIW Gentoo is
16 > about as hassle-free to use as it has ever been. It isn't debian
17 > stable, and it is unlikely to ever be that way...
21 I agree that the Gentoo update process is a LOT better than it used to
22 be.  Even I run into fewer problems and that's saying something.  lol
23
24 There used to be a package that caused some serious problems with
25 upgrades.  It was really tricky but I can't recall the name of it since
26 it was ages ago.  It was back around the old hal days or so.  I don't
27 know if it is even used anymore.  Either the update process has improved
28 or it isn't used anymore.  I just recall it was a critical package, sort
29 of like gcc or glibc but it was some other package.
30
31 OP, odds are the emerge failure is what triggered the problem.  If it
32 had completed without failure, it would likely have been a clean
33 update.  This is why I set up a chroot and do my updates there and use
34 the -k option to install on my actual system.  It takes very little time
35 and so far, no breakages on my real system.  If any thing fails, it's
36 more likely to be in the chroot which won't hurt anything. If you able,
37 may be a option worth thinking about for yourself as well.
38
39 Dale
40