From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel vs kernel manual compilation
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:11:30
1 On 8/31/07, Steen Eugen Poulsen <sep@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann skrev:
3 > > because I have seen more than one non-booting totally f* up kernel created by
4 > > genkernel. I won't touch it ever again. If something sucked in the past, the
5 > > change is great that it sucks again in the future. Plus it doesn't really
6 > > make things easier, does it?
9 > Enough of this religous FUD spreading about Genkernel.
10 >
11 > Your outright lying.
12 >
13 > If you don't have anything to say than lies and FUD, maybe it's time to
14 > stop saying anything.
15
16 Ok, let's all just take a deep breath, chill out and get back on-topic.
17
18 Clearly there are differing opinions/experiences about genkernel. We
19 needn't get into a "religious" war on either side; I have a certain
20 way I apporach kernel building that makes me avoid genkernel, that's
21 my choice. There are those who like what genkernel does, that's their
22 choice.
23
24 I've made the argument that a non-genkernel config is less complicated
25 than a genkernel config, and I think that's a supportable position.
26 I've also argued that the OP should think about hand-configuring from
27 scratch, as it reduces the number of variables to troubleshoot.
28
29 I think Volker's point about genkernel not making things easier is
30 just that it seems to be a source of confusion and complexity in this
31 particular case (Volker please correct me if I'm wrong), which is a
32 valid point. And it isn't "FUD" or "lies" to warn about having bad
33 experiences with a tool in the past. If there are issues with my
34 tone, or anyone else's tone, please say just that, rather than adding
35 fuel to the fire.
36
37 Ultimately, we're talking about whether or not to use a tool, and how
38 to use that tool. No-one's going to live or die here: righteous anger
39 and name-calling isn't appropriate. So again: take a deep breath,
40 and let's try and help out a fellow gentoo-user instead of attacking
41 each other.
44 Ryan W Sims
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list