From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: wlan0 promiscuous mode
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 22:52:08
1 >> Do you know if there is an equivalent destroy command for ifconfig or
2 >> iwconfig since wlanconfig is a madwifi tool? 'ifconfig wlan0 destroy'
3 >> doesn't work and I tried 'ifconfig wlan0 down'. 'airmon-ng start
4 >> wlan0' does put wlan0 into monitor mode (as verified by 'ifconfig')
5 >> but I don't get any airodump-ng results unless net.wlan0 is started.
6 >>
7 >> - Grant
10 > 'airmon-ng stop wlan0' should just exit monitor mode.
11 >
12 > 'airmon-ng start wlan0' creates a new device (mon0 or phy0 or something),
13 > and 'airmon-ng stop wlan0' will remove it.
14
15 That all works great, the problem is it only works when net.wlan0 is
16 started. I'm told I:
17
18 "need to load the modules and setup the interface for your card"
19
20 because that's probably what net.wlan0 does. I tried to look through
21 net.wlan0 but I'm lost in there. Any idea what I might need to do
22 that net.wlan0 usually does for me?
23
24 - Grant