From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Problem with xf86-video-ati & nvidia-drivers
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 16:55:45
1 >>>> I gave it a try but there was no change.  I tried plugging the TV and
2 >>>> computer into a power strip and also into an isolation transformer.
3 >>>> Any other ideas?
4 >>>
5 >>> I still think it's a driver problem.  Again: it's *physically* impossible
7 >>> have these problems with the HDMI signal.  At most you get "digital
8 >>> noise",
9 >>> which means some pixels get stuck or are missing.  But not what you get;
10 >>> that's just something that can't be explained.
11 >>
12 >> I was thinking about this.  The digital HDMI signal must be converted
13 >> into an analog signal at some point if it's being represented as light
14 >> on a TV screen.  Electrical interference generated by the computer and
15 >> traveling up the HDMI wire should have its chance to affect things
16 >> (i.e. create weird shadows) at that point, right?
17 >
18 > Not with DFPs.  Those work digital even internally.  I assume of course that
19 > his HDMI TV *is* a DFP.
20
21 But at some point the 1s and 0s must be converted to some sort of an
22 analog signal if only right behind the diode. A diode must be
23 presented with a signal in some sort of analog form in order to
24 illuminate, right? Digital is just a figment of our imagination after
25 all.
26
27 - Grant