From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH: No X11 forwarding any longer
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:42:07
1 I wrote:
2
3 > Yes. Well, I usually have forwarding enabled automatically
4 > in /etc/ssh/ssh_config, but I always try with -X or -Y anyway.
5 >
6 > > What is the actual error from the client?
7 >
8 > $DISPLAY is not set.
9 >
10 > But I notice a change since yesterday: I now get this warning:
11 > Warning: No xauth data; using fake authentication data for X11
12 > forwarding.
13 >
14 > Don't know what causes this, I emerged a couple of things due to world
15 > update and (still!) some problems with the expat update, but nothing
16 > which I would think has to do with ssh. Anyway, DISPLAY still does not
17 > get set.
18
19 I sort of found the solution to my problem, but still do not fully
20 understand what happened. First I thought I had to add X to the server's
21 use flags. Looked like I then had DISPLAY set, but still got the warning
22 about missing xauth data. When trying to start an X application, I got
23 this:
24
25 Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
26 Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
27 xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0
28
29 Then I looked at the configs again, and in the man page for ssh_config I
30 finally found this:
31 XAuthLocation
32 Specifies the full pathname of the xauth(1) program. The
33 default is /usr/openwin/bin/xauth.
34
35 /usr/openwin? I added "XAuthLocation /usr/bin/xauth" to the
36 client's /etc/ssh/ssh_config, and now all was fine. Even without the X use
37 flag.
38
39 Looking at a gentoo box I did not update for a while, I see the man page
40 there tells the default location is /usr/bin/xauth. Okay, now I know this
41 change is responsible. But why aren't forum and this list flooded with
42 people experiencing the same problem as me?
43
44 Alex
45 --
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list