From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Video card with two ports.
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:33:44
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > Well, I got the cable in. I hooked it up, nothing. Hmmmm. Then I
5 > turned around to look at my regular monitor and KDE had a pop up about a
6 > new video device. Oh really. I clicked to set it up and now I have a
7 > picture. No sound tho. I can't watch videos with no sound. I'll need
8 > to work on that. ;-)
9 >
10 > I just hope this cable is going to be long enough after I run it under
11 > the floor. I think it will but it's going to be close.
12 >
13 > Dale
14 >
15 > :-) :-)
18 > Do you get sound out of the speakers connected to the computer directly?
19 >
20 > If you do, but not from the TV then you have 2 options:
21 > 1) connect an audio cable to the tv. (My tv has that option. Not all
22 > do though)
23 > 2) you figure out how to send sound through the cable between the
24 > videocard and tv. For that, I would have a look into sound drivers for
25 > the audio in the card (if it has a sound device) and also in alsa (or
26 > similar) mixer settings.
27 >
28 > FYI, the only time I hooked up a PC to my TV it was with a VGA cable
29 > and simple audio cable.
30 > Back then, I didn't have HDMI outputs.
31 >
32 > --
33 > Joost
34 > --
35 > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
38 I figured it out. I found a wiki and found out that the sound can get
39 there just fine on the command line but it didn't with smplayer. So I
40 went hmmmm. Then I recalled seeing a tab for audio in preferences for
41 smplayer. I dived right in. What I have to do is tell smplayer where
42 to send the sound. I can tell it to send it to the speakers hooked to
43 the puter or tell it to send it to the TV. No setting that I can find
44 for it to just send to both. Maybe there is a OS seting for this
45 somewhere. I dunno. Now that I know where to set this, it's no big deal
46 to just change it based on what I am going to listen too.
47
48 Oh, while testing the sound, I found out I have my puter speakers
49 backwords. My left speaker claims to be right and the right speaker
50 claims to be left. It's been that way for many years now. LOL Could
51 that be why I am so weird?? ;-)
52
53 I'm going to do some price checking on monitors. I may try to get one
54 that is a little higher res if I can. Anyway, I still need to check
55 into some things. The edges of the screen on my TV is cut off. It's not
56 much but just enough that it will cause issues if I try to do some
57 things on the TV. While in the KDE control center thingy, it had a
58 setting for the new screen to be left/right/top/bottom so it sounds like
59 my video card will support having two monitors with different images.
60 Right now, I set it to clone tho. That's what I want right now.
61
62 Thanks to all.
63
64 Dale
65
69 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!