From: Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>
To: gnap-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gnap-dev] student application/ideas for SoC 2008
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 20:43:12
On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 18:37 +0200, Vit Vomacko wrote:
> My name is Víťa Vomáčko (maybe some letters are strange to you:), 21 > years old, from Czech Republic
Nice. I'm from germany, but i have some friends in Czech Republic. I've been on a trip to Prag, Brno and Vsetin last month.
> I have some ideas, based on José Alberto's, Philipp Riegger's and mine, > as a newcomer (may not be suitable for project, may be too long term ). > So please tell me what seems to be good and what is totally rubbish:D > > * bug fixing (less bug, will report; cdrtools collision, a lot of > bugs opened)
This is great. I've been looking for a new bug fixing release for a long long time.
> * wrap,router board enhancements ( i will have direct access to it)
This sounds great. I'm looking forward to hearing from you, i've always wanted one of these toys!
> * glsa checks for your overlay (to be sure, that there is now > critical security bug in your gnap devices) > * overall upgrade of gnap core (new snapshot, gnap core..., move to > gnap 2.1 release and continue) > * interactive setup ( to be even easier to use for beginners, > answers some questions and build what is needed)
I was always thinking about stabilizing the non-interactive part more, but i'm looking forward to hearing your ideas.
> * CLI (inspired by vyatta project, would be nice to share code, > provides great management ability) and web interface for basic > changes (networking, firmware upgrades) (definitely try to use > and edit code from other similar projects, use existing frameworks)
Do you know Mikroconf, which has been written for last years SoC? It's not included anywhere, i think, but it sounds promising. Flexible modular design,...
> * unionfs, support (I know that second guy would like to work on it)
With this you mean: / on squashfs, writable with unionfs and some local storage?
> * live formware upgrade
Ca you elaborate on this? Are you talking about the whole image, only applications on it, upgreade with or without downtime?
> * use new catalyst (don't know exactly problems connected to it)
Mostly, that portage has to be newer than the one in the current seedstage shipped with gnap 2.0.
> * extensions installation made easier (maybe to have basic > extensions available on the internet and automatically get them)
Prebuilt, or config files? Well, for routerboards and maybe x86 prebuilt could make sense.
> * look at cross compiling ( I have some experience, so know that its > difficult, so sth.that could be done in shorter terms)
That's what i did not have when i tried it last year. I would really like to read your suggestions on this.
> * work on selected issues from Phillips's ideas ( > > ) > > Definitely I'd like to continue after SoC finishes. SO since tomorrow is > deadline:( try to comment it asap, I will be very happy of your comments.
I was out for the weekend, so i could not comment sooner. And BaSS (Jose) seems to be not that responsive at the moment. Anyway, i hope you apply and i hope they take you and i hope, i can help you in any way.