From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avoiding urgent stabilizations
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 20:52:16
1 On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 06:45:10PM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 >
3 > We've been discussing this @FOSDEM too. My suggestion was that any bug that
4 > visibly hurts stable users should always be considered at least MAJOR in
5 > bugzilla.
6 >
7 > To expand on this a bit more
8 > * a stable update that makes the computer nonfunctional is definitely BLOCKER
9 > (and should be reverted in CVS immediately when it becomes known, at latest
10 > when it is understood, by anyone who is around at the time and can do so)
11 > * a non-functional stable package in the system set should be CRITICAL.
12 >
13 > Just my 2ct, but it is really important not to hurt stable users. This is how
14 > we lose most people.
15 >
16 The rolling way we stabilize the packages makes the stable tree pretty
17 much fragile to breakages and stuff. This is because you cannot predict
18 what is going to happen to the rest of the tree if you stabilize a newer
19 package. It may have unpredictable consequences to the rest of the
20 packages. My suggestion, as I said to fosdem, is to freeze, or take a
21 snapshot if you like, of the current tree, stabilize what you need to
22 stabilize, test the whole tree ( at least compile wise ) for a couple of
23 weeks and then replace the existing stable tree. Of course this requires
24 automated script testing, hardware facilities etc etc that we don't have
25 so claiming that stable tree is "stable" is quite wrong.
26
27 Regards,
28 --
29 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2