From: Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ACCEPT_LICENSE revisited
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:52:02
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:22:36 -0600 Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > | > On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:53:36 +0100 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
6 > | > wrote:
7 > | > | Anyone interested in this feature should review the attached
8 > | > | version. Unless there are major objections (or we find large
9 > | > | problems in the implementation) this will be merged in one of the
10 > | > | next portage releases (definitely not in 2.1.2 though).
11 > | >
12 > | > 133594 will need to be fixed before this is usable for most users.
13 > | >
14 > | I'm sure it's been talked about before, but the ability to group
15 > | licenses would solve that. Just create a X.Org license group and add
16 > | all the individual modular X licenses to it.
17 >
18 > And then create a KDE licence group, and a Gnome licence group, and so
19 > on? Remember that there are only a few X licences once you ignore
20 > copyright line differences, just as there are only a few KDE licences
21 > once you ignore copyright line differences.
22 >
23 The other option is to submit patches for X and KDE and Gnome to use a
24 unified license. At least in the X case, it's not that the patches
25 arn't welcome, it's that the maintainers have things more important to
26 do than cleaning up after the mess upstream made of the licenses.
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list