From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-installer@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-installer] New class diagram and use case
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 20:53:25
On Tuesday 03 February 2004 21:09, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:

> The backend doesn't actually do anything until all options have been > chosen. ALL installation activity waits until AFTER the user would > click "finish" (just an example). Nothing should be done until the user > has made all choices. Once the user has made all choices, it will pass > the xml file to the backend and perform the whole installation. This is > really the desireable operation.
Why? Many people would want to be able to do parts of the installation manually while doing others automatically. As some parts cannot be performed out of order this means that if we want to support such a hands-on mode for the installer, we need to allow partial scripts to be executed. Basically what I want to say is that controlling the processing time etc. should be the business of the frontend. One could add a "verification" stage in the backend which would mean that the backend would first verify the whole file for correctness. This would basically function as a buffer for the execution engine. Paul ps. Further I am not convinced why in all cases execution needs to be performed only after the user clicked finish. pps. Note that I don't want to say that execution must happen immediately. I want to say that if we don't design it into the backend from the start, we probably would end up with a kludge that would need to be fixed later (incurring possibly a full redesign) ppps. designing in just includes thinking how it fits into the architecture and keeping a place (where it can be added later), it does not mean that everything needs to be in place allready. -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net