From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-nfp <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-nfp] What could the Gentoo Foundation do with money?
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 00:19:38
William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> For more of a fun thread. I am just going to list a bunch of ideas I > personally have had wrt to what Gentoo could do with money. They are not > listed in any particular order. > > 1. Provide all devs with a base development system
Oh cool, wait no. There is a direct adopt-a-dev stuff people could think more personal and fun.
> 2. Sponsors devs to travel to events, seminars, summits, etc > 3. Sponsors devs for educational purposes, certifications, college, > trade courses, etc > 4. Hold an annual Gentoo Conference for all developers and users > 5. Pay for infra services > 6. Buy bitchen hardware and toys for infra
> 8. Increase schwag and freebie stuff to give away at events > 9. Sponsors development via Gentoo summer of code, or fall, > winter, or spring summer of code. meh, non core stuff sponsors usually provide.
> 7. Buy new hardware to install/certify Gentoo on ( PS 4, new procs, > big iron, etc)
Usually certification happens from the other side...
> 10. Donate/contribute to other projects and charities
We donate already patches, space and so on.
> 11. Purchase membership for Gentoo in other foundations ( Gentoo > being a member of Gnome foundation, or etc )
Depressing.
> 12. Provide hardware to devs working on certain areas, device > drivers etc ( like buying a bunch of video cards for those > supporting binary drivers, or odd/expensive hardware )
Usually hw is provided by the people making it for that purpose.
> 13. Buy licenses to commercial apps so we can package and make > ebuilds available for them.
AHAHAHA no, the commercial app corp could provide us with a license if they want us to package their stuff.
> 14. Provide FREE release media
Why?