From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge xfce4 with installed lprng. :-(
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:41:23
Hi, excellent people!

Having got X11 installed and "working", I need a window manager.  Why
not XFCE, as supplied on the installation disk?

# emerge xfce didn't work - "Portage: Don't know what xfce is".
Scrabbled aroud /usr/portage, then # emerge xfce4 started working.

Why the 4 do I have to type xfce4, not xfce?  Anyhow, that's a minor
point.

The major point was that portage refused to install xfce because it said
that

    [blocks B     ] net-print/lprng (is blocking net-print/cups-1.3.7-r1)
    [blocks B     ] net-print/cups (is blocking net-print/lprng-3.8.28)

     * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
     * installed at the same time on the same system.

.  I.e., it wants to override my decision to use lprng as print program
and put in cups instead.  This is a bit of a cheek!

Why isn't xfce configured merely to install "some print daemon", rather
than specifically cups?  For that matter, why must it install a print
daemon at all?  Not every X user has a printer or wants to print.

What can I do about this?  I really don't want to have to install cups.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).