From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can't emerge xfce4 with installed lprng. :-(
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:41:23
1 Hi, excellent people!
2
3 Having got X11 installed and "working", I need a window manager. Why
4 not XFCE, as supplied on the installation disk?
5
6 # emerge xfce didn't work - "Portage: Don't know what xfce is".
7 Scrabbled aroud /usr/portage, then # emerge xfce4 started working.
8
9 Why the 4 do I have to type xfce4, not xfce? Anyhow, that's a minor
10 point.
11
12 The major point was that portage refused to install xfce because it said
13 that
14
15 [blocks B ] net-print/lprng (is blocking net-print/cups-1.3.7-r1)
16 [blocks B ] net-print/cups (is blocking net-print/lprng-3.8.28)
17
18 * Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be
19 * installed at the same time on the same system.
20
21 . I.e., it wants to override my decision to use lprng as print program
22 and put in cups instead. This is a bit of a cheek!
23
24 Why isn't xfce configured merely to install "some print daemon", rather
25 than specifically cups? For that matter, why must it install a print
26 daemon at all? Not every X user has a printer or wants to print.
27
28 What can I do about this? I really don't want to have to install cups.
31 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).