From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-alt@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-alt] [PREFIX] creating a prefix.eclass?
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 09:15:50
Sort of responding to/being inspired by haubi's comment on -dev about
"inherit eapi 4", I wondered whether we should make a prefix.eclass.

Currently we have eprefixify as function provided by Portage, and hence
ebuilds that use eprefixify cannot be straight ported to gentoo-x86.
Most notable are the eselect-* ebuilds that some gentoo-x86 devs like to
give full Prefix support, but simply can't because eprefixify (which we
would use) cannot be used in gentoo-x86.

So, should we start an eclass with for now eprefixify in there, and for
every ebuild where we use it, start inheriting prefix and nuke the
function from Portage?  Somehow I think this is a good idea.

Since I like haubi's idea about inherit doing the magic for eapis,
perhaps this can even solve the problem we have with our EAPI mungling
(all our ebuilds just inherit eapi prefix to "tag" them) and all
eclasses (it remains a hell of a job to keep it working), as well as
having prefix ebuilds live happily next to non-prefix ones.  But for
that we really need Portage to be able to mask based on what's in the
inherit line, e.g. the resolver needs to take it into account.

Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level