From: Jamie <gentoo@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] Re: Anybody else having problems with audio/vidio apps and glibc-2.5?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 01:29:46
1 > On Tuesday 24 October 2006 01:48, Jamie wrote:
2 >> <snip>
3 >>
4 >> > That's what a backup image, a snapshot of the system taken
5 >> periodically
6 >> > when everything is known to be working, is useful for. =8^)
7 >>
8 >> <snip>
9 >>
10 >> A good piece of advice and one that I really should follow.
11 >> What is the best way to take an image of the Gentoo install?
12 >> In my case my Gentoo install resides on /dev/hda2 (boot) ; /dev/hda3
13 >> (swap) and /dev/hda5 (root) - is it possible to use something like dd to
14 >> image these partitions to a disk somewhere else on my network? Is this a
15 >> good/bad/non-workable idea?
16 >
17 > get a tape drive (dlt is great), tar you system onto the tape drive.
18 >
19 > If something happens, boot a livecd, and untar from the tape into the
20 > partitions....
21 > --
22 > gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list
23
24 A great idea, but a DLT tape drive is well over $1000 here in New Zealand,
25 and every tape drive I have seen is far more expensive than disk.
26 My ideal solution would be to somehow back up to a drive on another
27 machine on the network (assuming that is possible).
30 gentoo-amd64@g.o mailing list