From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-amd64] [100% OFF TOPIC] Where does one learn about running vmware under Gentoo?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 18:37:44
1 On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:03 AM, Steve Herber <herber@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I would suggest VirtualBox. It just installed easily for me. I am
3 > running it on my system with stable gentoo-sources kernel.
4 >
5 > I just never had as much success with VMWare.
6 >
7 > Good luck,
8 > --
9 > Steve Herber herber@×××××.com work: 206-221-7262
10 > Security Engineer, UW Medicine, IT Services home: 425-454-2399
13 So that's a couple of votes for Virtual-Box. (That's from Sun
14 correct?) emerge virtualbox-bin? It seems to want me to fetch
15 something first. I'll have to check into that.
16
17 There's also Xen, right? Is it too early for an Open Source alternative?
18
19 What about disk space for each virtual machine? Does the
20 vmware/virtualbox installation grab some part of the physical disk to
21 start, or does it see all the disks in my system and then I grab some
22 portion of those to do my partitioning for each installation?
23
24 I.e. - can I give /dev/sda10 away to vmware and then everything stays
25 on that partition? I'd like ot be very careful about not messing up my
26 existing Gentoo installation when an XP process goes haywire and
27 somehow goes out to destroy my /root partition, etc.
28
29 Any extra requirements for an XP installation over and above what I'd
30 give XP itself?
31
32 I appreciate everyone's answers. I didn't expect this much info
33 figuring I'd just have to try it out and see for myself. Thanks!
34
35 - Mark