From: David Bryson <mutex@g.o>
To: gentoo-catalyst@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-catalyst] Overwriting linuxrc
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 17:48:45
1 On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 01:18:34PM -0400 or thereabouts, Paul Smith wrote:
2 >
3 > db> I was the one who implemented that patch for genkernel, and I
4 > db> specifically implemented it for use with catalyst.
5 >
6 > db> You just need to have some process for introducing the linuxrc into
7 > db> the catalyst chroot during the build process(which is what I did).
8 >
9 > OK. I think it's good that genkernel has that option, definitely.
10 >
11 > But it seems to me like it would be much cleaner from a Catalyst
12 > perspective (and certainly simpler for the user) if there were a
13 > Catalyst option that took a filename, then Catalyst would handle putting
14 > that file into the chroot and adding --linuxrc to the argument list of
15 > genkernel pointing to that file.
16 >
17 > No?
20 naw, much better to put something in spec file like
21 livecd/linuxrc: <path to my linuxrc>
22
23 > db> The code for doing this is in the embedded build type(which I also
24 > db> wrote), so you just need to add those bits to the livecd_stageX
25 > db> module.
26 >
27 > Hm, sorry for my noobie brain, but I didn't grok that sentence :-)
28 >
29 > What's "the embedded build type" and where would I set about looking for
30
31 As andrew already mentioned it's a 'module' inside catalyst that
32 describes how to build a certain type of system from a spec file.
33
34 I actually implemented it as part of the 'kernel' arguments to the
35 spec file. My files look something like this:
36
37 boot/kernel: vanilla
38 boot/kernel/runscript: /usr/lib/catalyst-devel/targets/embedded/kmerge.sh
39 boot/kernel/vanilla/sources: =sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.4.26
40 boot/kernel/vanilla/config: /root/kernel-config
41 boot/kernel/vanilla/gk_kernargs: --arch-override=x86
42 --linuxrc=/tmp/mergeroot/linuxrc
43 boot/kernel/vanilla/gk_action: all
44
45 help at all ?