From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-kernel] Proper distribution integration of kernel *-sources, patches and configuration.
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 18:29:22
1 On 07/01/2013 11:20 AM, Jeff Horelick wrote:
2 > On 1 July 2013 10:41, Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Hello
6 >> Please reply to gentoo-dev in case ML daemon changes Reply-To.
9 >> ### TL; DR ###
10 >>
11 >> By introducing feature patches which menu options are disabled by
12 >> default to genpatches, we can deduplicate *-sources maintainers as well
13 >> as large groups of users work. By introducing a distribution section
14 >> in the menuconfig, we can provide options that enable minimal Gentoo
15 >> requirements by default (DEVTMPFS, making Gentoo systems bootable since
16 >> an udev release a long time ago) and other distribution stuff.
17 >
18 > I really like this idea. geek-sources has appealed to me massively the
19 > past few months, but i didn't want to risk stability and go with a
20 > kernel from a unofficial overlay. I can not wait to see this in
21 > gentoo-sources and I fully support this idea.
22 >
23 Tom, you already know my opinion because we discussed it. I'm all for
24 it. Just a reminder: there's always problems somewhere in the kernel
25 which can be triggered by various options. The kernel is not one big
26 take it or leave it chunk of code, but many chunks selectable by Kconfig
27 with the exception of course of the core. The best we can do wrt to BFQ
28 and other "risky" patches is mark these options as EXPERIMENTAL. I was
29 going to say depend on CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL in Kconfig, but this is
30 deprecated. See scripts/checkpatch.pl
31
32 "Use of CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL is deprecated. For alternatives, see
33 https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/23/580"
34
35 --Tony
38 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
39 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
40 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
41 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
42 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA