From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: EAPI spec (was Re: Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:52:11
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 04:13 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> | and Gianelloni for the infrastructure.
4 >>
5 >> And what on earth do infrastructure have to do with a package manager
6 >> specification?
7 >
8 > Especially considering that I am not an infrastructure guy. I'll be
9 > honest. I'm not concerned personally with the *contents* of the package
10 > manager specification, since I know it will end up being reviewed by
11 > many. What I am mostly concerned with is making sure that we're moving
12 > forward as efficiently as possible. I want this spec so we can all get
13 > cracking on making everything support it. The contents itself I leave
14 > to more capable hands. I'll be reviewing it when it is released, but
15 > that's only just to assist in the process.
16 >
17 Um I put it badly, sorry (i've had the flu) - I meant Chris in his capacity
18 of releng, catalyst etc. You only want to review, np. ++ to moving ahead.
19
20 And yeah, ferringb had it right- it was about having several perspectives on
21 this rather than just paludis devs. And irrespective of whether
22 bug-wranglers have much to say, I'd still want them involved, as they deal
23 with the ebuild bugs. As such they could well have ideas or viewpoints
24 which would help. Even if they don't, it's how I'd do it for any software
25 development project- not having testing/ QA/ bug fixers involved would
26 leave me uneasy.
27
28 The PMS will presumably be the definitive statement of what should happen
29 for *all* gentoo PMs, and it so happens that the people who are doing it
30 are mostly paludis devs, and sorry it won't be ready til Paludis is. pfft.
31
32 I don't buy the stuff about needing the so-called independent implementation
33 sorry. ``What people think is allowed rather than what is?'' The spec
34 defines what is allowed. Period.
35
36 Further, I don't recollect any discussion about needing an independent
37 implementation when this was first mooted, and spb took it on. Or am I
38 wrong- was it in fact understood that the spec would need paludis before it
39 could be considered correct?
40
41 And that still leaves the issue of EAPI 0 being the preexisting
42 implementation. What exactly is so wrong with that?
43
44 Like I said, tho, I'm happy if the council is. Although I'm starting to
45 worry at the increasingly poisonous atmosphere, and that devs are leaving.
46 Flameeyes was on the council, no? It concerns me that this atmosphere is
47 just intimidating people simply because no one feels confident to stand up
48 to abusive bullying.
49
50 Personally, I'd like to see ferringb and zmedico's take on what the PMS
51 should be. (Not that they want to do it.) I sincerely doubt it would take
52 them anything like as long ;)
53
54 BTW if i preface a statement with `personally' that means it's just my gut
55 feeling. It doesn't mean that I think it /has/ to be done like that. Sorry
56 to explain the obvious..
60 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list