From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Useflags: qt, qt3, qt4?
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 01:39:02
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > I am talking about qt. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I was thinking of KDE
3 > users, that are, casually, the main users of Qt-related stuff.
4 >
5 > In this particular issue, KDE (3) users are the main part, they need poppler
6 > and other stuff built for Qt 3. There are still just a few packages that
7 > relies on Qt 4 right now.
8
9 OK, so we can add qt3 to make.defaults.
10
11 > Still, I'm not for the idea of just putting qt to mean Qt 3 and discard Qt 4
12 > until it's "the chosen one", not only for a compatibility reason with
13 > migration from older version, but also because we do have people using gentoo
14 > for KDE 4 development (I happen to know a few of them), and they need Qt 4
15 > support.
16 >
17 > I want to save both of them, asking a little bit more work for the developers,
18 > as they usually know what to do, rather than for users, which might as well
19 > be half clueless.
20
21 I don't see how any other suggestion is simpler than mine for developers
22 or users. Maybe I missed something in skimming the discussion.
23
24 To summarize:
25
26 - USE=qt enables support for the most current qt.
27
28 - USE=qt3 enables qt3 if there is also qt4 interface. This will be an
29 easy switch now, because very few packages have a qt4 flag, and it will
30 get progressively harder.
31
32 - Add qt3 to make.defaults to avoid breaking things like KDE.
33
34 I suppose it will also need some clause for the mutually exclusive cases:
35 USE="qt -qt3" enables most recent
36 any USE combination containing qt3 forces back to qt3
37
38 Thanks,
39 Donnie