From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 10:20:59
1 On Wednesday 17 May 2006 02:42, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 >
3 > paludis/packages:
4 > -*>=sys-apps/portage-2.0.51.22
5 > *sys-apps/paludis
6
7 Is there any reason that portage and paludis can not live together. As
8 this basically blocks any kind of migration or backwards compatibility I
9 see this as a very serious roadblock to the acceptance of paludis as a
10 supported (secondary) package manager.
11
12 > The deprecated notice should address the concerns of those worried
13 > about people switching a Portage system to use one of these profiles,
14 > as it would then spit out a hard-to-miss notice upon attempting to do
15 > anything. Additionally, at present anyone using the sub-profiles with
16 > Portage would get a profile identical to the default-linux ones, due to
17 > Portage only considering the first line in parent.
18
19 With the contents of this profile I see no reason whatsoever to include it
20 in the tree. Paludis itself could easilly maintain a blocker on portage.
21 The rest is so boilerplate that it has no added benefit of having paludis
22 use the normal profiles.
23
24 Using the normal profiles would also establish paludis as a possible
25 replacement of portage as primary package manager. Refraining from doing
26 so disqualifies paludis from becoming a replacement for portage. As the
27 only point in adding a secondary package manager is the possible
28 replacement of the current primary package manager, I see no point to
29 make any paludis directed changes to the tree.
30
31 Paludis at this point is just a third party package manager, comparable to
32 rpm, and should be treated as such. Paludis could become a secondary
33 package manager (waranting limited tree changes) when it has proved
34 stability and has taken away all limits that prevent it from replacing
35 portage at some point.
36
37 If paludis does not aim at replacing portage, including an easy upgrade
38 path and long testing, I see no point in using any gentoo resources in
39 its support. This includes the pointlessness of making profile changes.
40
41 Paul
44 Paul de Vrieze
45 Gentoo Developer