From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage suggestion
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:54:57
1 begin quote
2 On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:44:21 +0000
3 James Harlow <james@××××××××××××××.nu> wrote:
8 > > What do you think?
9 >
10 > I suggest verifying that you can manually compile licq without kde,
11 > and then posting a bug on bugzilla. Repeat as required until all the
12 > packages you use are useflag-enabled.
15 I keep seing threads like this cropping up at a regular basis, both here
16 and on bugzilla. However, the small issue most people who file those
17 bugs overlook is reliability.
18
19 Here's the point, we can easly remove the dependency on esd, and if the
20 code works, okay. However, then you have an untracked dependency when
21 esd -is- installed but set as USE="-esd" , as it will be needed, but not
22 listed as such.
23
24 -that- is unreliable behaviour, and in many cases we chose to rather
25 make it a hard dependency and force it down peoples throats, than to
26 expend time and work on issues where things -work- but we perhaps not
27 locally optimal.
28
29 So, Feel free to file any bugs you want about this, tcp-wrappers and
30 other such "bloated" issues. However: If you do not wrap for the
31 reverse case, your changes will be ignored.
34 //Spider
37 begin .signature
38 Tortured users / Laughing in pain
40 end