From: Jakob Buchgraber <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo's problems
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:45:09
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:30:36 +0100 Jakob Buchgraber
3 > <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >>>> You're avoiding my point. The improvements that are being made
6 >>>> are, by and large, insignificant. Portage doesn't need a few
7 >>>> little tweaks now and again. It has to start delivering a whole
8 >>>> load of major new features (there's no one killer feature), and
9 >>>> quickly.
10 >>>>
11 >> Why don't you join the portage team and try to persuade the current
12 >> portage devs and help to implement the "killer features"?
13 >> So instead of saying that portage is missing features and developing
14 >> your own pm you could be even more productive and help improving
15 >> portage. Why don't ya do that?
18 > Because Portage is beyond repair. The code and design are so bad that
19 > it's easier to start from scratch. Which, funnily enough, is what I
20 > ended up doing.
24 So why don't you start rewriting, refactoring and improving the portage
25 source? It definitely doesn't make sense to create a competing package
26 management system.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Jay
32 Join Linuxfriendlyhardware.org project on irc.freenode.org#lfh (german)
33 Registered Linux User #373457
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list