From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Proposal: patches.gentoo.org
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 19:12:40
1 We were talking about this on IRC due to the growing concern over
2 patches and other files in ${FILESDIR} in the portage tree. This is
3 basically the idea that we came up with to resolve the problem.
4
5 The proposal is to get infrastructure to provide a temporary location
6 for developers to upload patches which are necessary to be immediately
7 available to users. This space would be writable by all CVS developers
8 and would be accessible to the world via http. Developers would use
9 this space for temporary storage only for patches which are
10 created/rolled in-house.
11
12 For the sake of simplicity, I am going to call this server (though it
13 could be any number of servers) patches.gentoo.org for the remainder of
14 this document.
15
16 Ramereth suggesting using the existing rsync.gentoo.org infrastructure
17 servers for this task. This would simplify replication, since the
18 replication could be done via rsync and use the same schedule as the
19 master portage tree replication. This would ensure that the patches are
20 available at the same time as the ebuild.
21
22 The developer would use this temporary location as follows:
23
24 1. developer creates an ebuild which needs a patch
25 2. developer puts SRC_URI="patches.gentoo.org/${P}-$patchname" in the
26 ebuild, at the end of the SRC_URI definition
27 3. developer uploads patch to dev.gentoo.org:/space/patches-local and
28 dev.gentoo.org:/space/distfiles-local
29 4. developer commits ebuild(s) to cvs
30
31 The patch would replicate to the rsync boxes and would be available via
32 http immediately.
33
34 Remember that portage tries the Gentoo mirrors in ${GENTOO_MIRRORS}
35 before checking SRC_URI, so once the files hit the community mirrors,
36 the temporary location in SRC_URI would no longer be used.
37
38 A cron job would be added to the machine to clean out files older than 7
39 days. This gives the mirrors plenty of time to locally mirror the
40 patches. This also reduces the amount of space required on the machine
41 (s) hosting the files.
44 Chris Gianelloni
45 Release Engineering - Operations/QA Manager
46 Games - Developer
47 Gentoo Linux