From: Christel Dahlskjaer <christel@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposed addition to the Social Contract
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 21:49:59
1 On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 16:47 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Saturday 24 March 2007, Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
3 > > It looks like our social contract doesn't prohibit Gentoo from being
4 > > dependent upon a single sponsor or corporation. In the interests of
5 > > keeping Gentoo run by the developers rather than any outside party, how
6 > > about the following addition to the Social Contract?
7 > >
8 > > <heading>We will be run by the Development Community</>
9 > > Gentoo will be run by the development community. We will never allow
10 > > ourselves to be reliant upon a single sponsor or corporation.
11 >
12 > i think this whole idea is a moot point anyways ... go visit the Gentoo
13 > Foundation web site and see Chapter 2 Section 5
14
15 And how exactly does this help us in the event of say the OSL burning
16 down or the GNi suffering flooding? :)
17
18 My point was simply that I think we would be wise to research whether
19 there is the possibility of spreading our critical infrastructure a bit
20 better so that in the event of an Act of God or suchlike we wouldn't
21 find ourselves losing everything to, say, water damage.
22
23 I agree, adding a line to the social contract won't magically send our
24 servers across the world and into the homes^Wdatacenters of hundreds of
25 wonderful new sponsors. Would be nice if it did though!