From: Pavlos Ratis <dastergon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Hangouts
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 21:30:45
1 Hello all,
2
3 Everyday we talk to each other about different kind of things related
4 to Gentoo. IRC and MLs are the primary way of our communication, but
5 this is only a text-based communication. I think sometimes it would be
6 better to escape from that.
7
8 That's why I'd like to propose Gentoo Hangouts. Gentoo Hangouts will
9 be Google+ video Hangouts(video calls) held by teams or developers
10 independent of a team. The main goal is to have the teams introduce
11 themselves and discuss about different issues in their Gentoo-related
12 projects.
13
14 It's a very interactive way of communication and it helps team bonding. The
15 first Hangout of a team would be good to include a short introduction of the
16 team (what,who,where). Also team members will introduce themselves.
17 Then team should start talking about how a user can contribute and
18 what is going on in the team. Tips and tricks would be a plus and very
19 useful to users. Finally, users will be able to ask
20 questions at G+ and then team members will try to answer the most of
21 these questions.
22
23 Future team meetings could be also held via video hangouts or interviews like
24 dabbot's doing in his personal blog. In addition, developers
25 independent of the team could organize a hangout along with other
26 developers to discuss different topics or to have a
27 Gentoo-related chit-chat. Users could also participate into this video calls.
28
29 It's very easy to decide the host of the talk. Maybe the team leads
30 would be proper
31 for that or someone from the PR. One of the major issues is the
32 difference in timezone and the workload of each developer. However, I
33 think it would be great to find 1 hour to
34 participate. Teams could use a site like http://doodle.com to organize
35 the Hangout and find an hour that fit to their schedule.
36
37 Except from a camera and a microphone requirement is a Google account and
38 www-client/google-talkplugin package which is already in the tree.
39
40 It would be great to have teams introduce themselves and inform users in a
41 more interactive way how to contribute and answer their questions. Finally as
42 I said different other topics could be covered in this calls.
43
44 All these video calls will be archived to a public Gentoo account in Youtube.
45
46 I am looking forward to your feedback, your comments and of course for the
47 first team that will create a video Hangout!! :)
48
49 That's all folks, thanks for your time.
50
51 Pavlos