From: Carlos Silva <r3pek@×××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 22:51:30
1 On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > <snip>
6 Maybe I was miss understood here. I know that there are tons of ways to
7 have gentoo *running* in a box without it having network connection. The
8 thing is that makes like 0.01% of the total installs. It's not a default
9 install, it isn't on any gentoo manual I know of (besides the chroot one,
10 but I really don't consider that an installation), and most importantly,
11 AFAIK, it's not something any John Doe would do. Offline installations and
12 "runtimes" are for geeks that use linux for a long time and know how the
13 system work and have the knowledge to build a stage4 or chroot and move it
14 to another box. It's not something technically difficult for us "geeks",
15 but would take ages for some non-geek to do it.
16 Hell, a friend of mine normally calls me when he needs to do something to
17 his box other that "pacman <something>" (yeah, he's on arch) and he's using
18 linux for some time now.
19
20 The bottom line here is, does @system have to have virtual/network-provider?
21 - Yes -> Make it RDEPEND;
22 - No -> don't care and just set some use flags.
23
24 The question above is more a political one than technical. Everyone here
25 knows that a system doesn't have to have networking support for it to boot,
26 we can't even guarantee that networking support is in the kernel (at least
27 I don't see it using kernel-*.eclass), but is it a safe default meaning
28 that 99% or more of the people will use or *need* it? <--- political
29
30 Sorry if I was too long on this :)