From: Joshua Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is Gentoo dying?
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 01:48:50
1 On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 11:16:32 +0200
2 Tobias Scherbaum <dertobi123@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > - Our formerly outstanding documentation still is somewhat maintained,
5 > but that's it. I haven't seen any new additions (both to our docs, but
6 > also to our docs-team) for years. People are constantly asking for a
7 > documentation wiki, but ...
8
9 Thanks for sh**ting on my efforts. There are lots of visible changes, and I make a point of getting the word out when a new guide turns up in /doc/. I blog about the new docs I add, and I spend awhile working with contributors to make sure we get good stuff out there and that it's constantly updated -- the Openbox guide Nate Zachary wrote comes to mind. I'm also always working with developers who are writing docs in their spare time, coaching 'em through the process, assisting with GuideXML, taking patches, *and* creating patches and updates for devs who are posting documents in /proj/ and in their personal devspace. But I guess that doesn't mean anything to you.
10
11 Oh yes, and I spend hours each week constantly updating docs based on the inflow of bugs, forum reports, and I constantly re-read each one and improve stuff where I can on-the-fly. Not everything has a bug tracker, but the end result is still a visible difference in the stuff you see on the website.
12
13 > - Website redesign - we had a contest some years ago, got a winner,
14 > someone started to adapt the design and somewhat that project fall
15 > asleep.
16
17 We've added quite a bit, with the automated feeds and whatnot. And the sidebar stuff. And the revamping of our releases page, and lots of other areas. I've added lots of stuff; I guess you just haven't noticed.
18
19 > - Speaking of our website, PR ... guess there's nothing more to add.
20
21 Thanks for sh**ting on my efforts here, too. Take SCALE last month. I guess all the work I did to organize SCALE and go out and make a difference with our (potential) users by talking with them doesn't mean anything. All the word-of-mouth I've done with folks before and after SCALE, even my coworkers must not count for much.
22
23 * * *
24
25 I would have expected such this kind of negative, abrasive email from a user, but to see such a sensationalist letter coming from a developer is disappointing, to say the least. I expect better from you. Because whether you realize it or not, your email can only come across as denigrating my efforts, and everyone else who puts in hard work on (actually visible!) changes.
26
27 Your email was inflammatory and offensive, but not in the way that motivates me to do more or do anything different. It came across as extremely demotivational.