From: "Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat.com)" <nd@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 13:34:43
1 > Am 23.05.2015 um 15:07 schrieb Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
2 >
3 > Well, besides not being browser-based as far as I can tell, without
4 > integration with the IMAP server those emails in multiple directories
5 > won't show up in multiple directories when accessed from any other
6 > client.
7 This is a behavior of your email client and typically not part of the service (except if you see webmail clients as part of it).
8
9 > What I like about Gmail is that I can operate from the
10 > browser, but still have access to my mail via IMAP if I need it, and
11 > of course it has a really nice Android offline client (and an offline
12 > html5 client as well).
13 WOW,
14 this is what our customers still had around 20 years ago and far before any "google" exist...
15
16 > These days IMAP clients on Android are
17 > probably a lot better, so the android client isn't as important as it
18 > used to be most likely, but I'd still like contacts to be in-sync
19 > across all browser and android clients (which isn't something IMAP
20 > alone can deliver).
21
22 If your mail provider offers you "real“ IMAP and protocol standards around (i.e. SIEVE etc.) (and not that crap most freeman providers offer - including gmail) this is fully the question of YOUR email client.
23
24 Most professional mail providers has to offer at least one (usually more then one) webmail GUI / interface for their users / customers and are open and fast enough to even able to serve any otherwhere hosted third party „webmail" client (if someone really need that because of very specialized needs / expectations to his „webmail“). Many of that solutions allow - if users really need / want this beside any data protection laws and structures (you have to hand over a personal (!!!) password to a third party - and this beside the fact that that party is allowed from you to use that for nearly „anything“...) - to view and work with different IMAP accounts on different locations / providers as well.
25
26 This means users can decide between i.e. a „simple“ platform independent webmail only GUI over PIM solutions up to full scale Groupware / PIM solutions including group management and higher level administration levels. Without or with further synchronization and/or „cloud“ services. Users can generate multiple mail addresses as needed, have not a hardly downcropped SMTP / MTA service which allows just some MB per Email or several hundred emails by day or similar limits. Nearly the whole „cloud storage“ Dropbox mania was a result of kiddingly email services allowing mails up to 5 - 50 MB size or so - limits which are not acceptable for any more professional user (but even crazy for end users who want to send some files to their recipients in a mail).
27
28 My experience is that more then 99% of all email users did not know/recognized the power of real IMAP - resultet from crippled IMAP services of their providers or still being in POP3 in their mind. Services like server side searching, access rules to folders or even the SIEVE filter standards are very new to them, but available since around 20 years on the email service market. Gmail was one of the first „fee free“ mail services internationally offering at least a halfway usable IMAP - 20 years after that was standard for pro users and many of the features that customer audience is calling „gmail feature“ are still parts of standards, available decades before...
29
30 this just btw…
33 cheerioh,
36 Niels.