From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On banning merge commits
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 05:09:49
1 On Sun, 8 May 2016 01:52:22 +0200
2 Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Hi gents
5 >
6 > After yet another discussion about git in the #gentoo-dev channel tonight, the
7 > topic of merge commits came up for the umpteenth time.
8 >
9 > We all seem to agree merge commits are really bad design, add clutter to the
10 > log graph after a while and should be banned altogether from reaching the
11 > central repository.
12 >
13 > As of now, no policy is in place yet to keep developers from pushing merge
14 > commits.
15 >
16 > What is the correct course of action? I would very much like it to be worded in
17 > a document (GLEP and/or Wiki page) so that confusion is avoided and we all are
18 > on the same page on this topic.
19
20 You start by accepting my retirement.
23 Best regards,
24 Michał Górny
25 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>