From: seanecovel <seanecovel@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Niches and new developers (especially xbox)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:11:04
1 Daniel Ostrow wrote:
2 > Here is my take on it:
3 >
4 > #1: Supporting architectures as an ideal is not necessarily a bad thing,
5 > even niche ones, as sometimes things get brought to the table that
6 > further larger goals. Even if all it means is the maintenance of some
7 > patches. If someone wants to help the community by porting Gentoo great,
8 > so long as the project falls completely within the purview of Gentoo
9 > Technologies, Inc. regarding copyrights and procedures. This last
10 > statement is where the legality issue comes in, we have to decide if
11 > something that isn't expressly illegal really is then legal, and that is
12 > a call I'm not willing to make.
13 >
14 > #2: That being said game consoles as a whole are a constantly moving
15 > target. Simply because the Xbox is an x86 architecture machine today
16 > does not make it's next generation an x86 arch. So the question is are
17 > they coming in as x86 devs or Xbox devs? There is no guarantee that the
18 > next version of the machines are going to be supportable in the same
19 > manner. So we then open the door to a new sub-arch for each console that
20 > comes to market.
21 >
22 > #3: As far as I am concerned the security issue comes into play just as
23 > much with a dev working on a major arch, the more people you accept the
24 > bigger the security hole and that is the bottom line, the size of the
25 > supported platform really doesn't matter.
26 >
27 > So I've given some pro's and con's but when it comes down to it, as long
28 > as it is able to truly legally be done, go for it. Especially with a
29 > project like the Xbox it will give the devs an opportunity to learn
30 > about the x86 arch as a whole, and possibly extend their
31 > responsibilities, this should be discussed with the leads of x86. As
32 > with any dev that is being considered without prior involvement in the
33 > community the onus falls on the mentor to make sure that things go
34 > smoothly, if vapier is willing to carry that then so be it. I'm just too
35 > gray on the legality issue to fully throw my support behind it.
36 >
37 > Thanks,
38 >
39 > Daniel Ostrow
40 > Gentoo/PPC
41 > dostrow@g.o
44 As an Xbox Linux user, and a Gentoo user, I'd love to have Gentoo
45 running on my Xbox. From the discussion above, I can't seem to
46 understand if there was a final decision made. Seems like it just died
47 (again...) What are the chances of having an official Gentoo port of
48 Xbox Linux?
49
50 Sean
54 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list