From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 23:01:33
1 On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:22:17 -0500 Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Yes, Gentoo is supposed to be fun, but we also have a responsibility
4 | to our users to ensure we are providing them with the best possible
5 | distro we can.
6
7 What, you mean the tree isn't someone's personal playground?
8
9 | * The QA team may also offer to fix obvious typos and similar minor
10 | issues, and silence from the package maintainers can be taken as
11 | agreement in such situations.
12
13 Should probably clarify that one. It's in there because there are some
14 situations where we find obvious typos (e.g. 'souce' instead of
15 'source' in DEPEND) and file a bug to alert the maintainer. If the
16 maintainer fixes it within a few days, there's no problem, but if not
17 there's no point in letting the bug sit there -- someone from QA should
18 be able to fix it themselves.
19
20 Equally, we don't want to just fix stuff without telling people that
21 they made a mistake, because then they're more likely to do it again.
22
23 | * The QA team will maintain a list of current "QA Standards". The
24 | list is not meant by any means to be a comprehensive document, but
25 | rather a dynamic document that will be updated as new problems are
26 | discovered.
27
28 Hrm, do we want to include the thing about the QA standards providing
29 rationale and explanations rather than hard rules here?
32 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
33 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
34 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm