From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 14:28:58
1 On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 12:09:58AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote
2 > On 09 Feb 2016 22:39, Duncan wrote:
3 > > Mike Frysinger posted on Tue, 09 Feb 2016 14:26:52 -0500 as excerpted:
4 > > > On 08 Feb 2016 13:46, Micha?? Górny wrote:
5 > > >> I'm strongly against this, because:
6 > > >
7 > > > agreed. i also don't see any reasons in Patrick's e-mail to suggest the
8 > > > current default is inadequate. "i don't like upstream" isn't relevant.
9 > >
10 > > I'd agree, except that the way we're running udev is strongly discouraged
11 > > and generally not supported by upstream, with a statement that it /will/
12 > > break in the future, it's simply a matter of time.
13 >
14 > start a thread then when that actually happens
15
16 The problem with that approach is that all at once the Gentoo forum
17 will be hit with questions by a whole bunch of people who will have to
18 migrate to either eudev or systemd on a short deadline. As the old
19 saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I believe
20 that the best way to handle a crisis is to prevent it in the first
21 place. That means getting into a lifeboat before standalone udev sinks.
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications