From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Is anyone a prude?
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 21:58:49
1 Jason S wrote: [Sun Feb 27 2005, 03:28:28PM CST]
2 > #gentoo and #gentoo-dev has a 'clean language policy'.
3 > So anyone asking for support or just taking advantage
4 > of the package name will be moderated. Period. URI's,
5 > "in quotes", or a package name....it'll get moderated.
6
7 Yes, #gentoo and #gentoo-dev are "clean language" channels, but to the
8 best of my knowledge we've never actually "moderated" #gentoo-dev. We
9 just politely request that people swearing in the channel not do so,
10 and explain the rationale. If the person involved is not a dev, then
11 he or she may end up -v.
12
13 I should note that our "clean language" policy dates back to the very
14 early days of Gentoo, and the rationale is that #gentoo-dev is a public
15 point of contact between our users and our developers, and the policy
16 helps us provide a bit of professionalism. It's not clear that there
17 is anything unprofessional about referring to a programming language by
18 its name, even if that name is rather unfortunate (in my, admittedly
19 rather prudish, opinion). For people like me who are uncomfortable
20 using the actual name, "brainf*ck" would be equally clear, and many
21 people will use a similar version just out of politeness. I don't
22 think they _need_ to do so, however, to be professional.
23
24 > So don't be suprised if you hear alot more about this
25 > if you go ahead with currently proposed package name.
26
27 My understanding is that the amount of "brainf*ck" support that will be
28 needed is likely to be pretty small. It's not exactly a language that
29 everybody is running out to learn and deploy, after all. So, I rather
30 doubt that one would hear "alot [sic]" about this package regardless of policy.
31
32 -g2boojum-
33 --
34 Grant Goodyear
35 Gentoo Developer
36 g2boojum@g.o
37 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
38 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76