From: David Herbert <mail@××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ethical Policy
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 12:10:47
1 Thanks for the link but that doesn't cover it. It's not remotely
2 convincing, Red Hat could say exactly the same about their distro, Red Hat's
3 package management system is GPL'ed but they are still very clearly a
4 company, very clearly a .com and it's obvious that their motives are
5 different from Debian's who are very clearly a .org. The problem with
6 gentoo is that it is far from clear where their motives lie. M$'s success
7 was started by some stupid decisions made by IBM, which IBM have regreted
8 and looked for ways of getting back at them ever since. IBM have their own
9 vested interests in Linux which have nothing to do with morality. For IBM
10 supporting the free software community is a means to an their own unpleasent
11 ends. Gentoo 'appears' to have strong connections to IBM, which to me
12 contradicts their .org status. These are some of many reasons why I think
13 that if gentoo want to be a .org they need to explain who they are, hence
14 the need for a social contract.
15
16 Also if M$ was replaced with another company which behaved in exactly the
17 same way as M$ behave now we would have achieved nothing.
18
19 Regards,
20 David Herbert.
21
22 > Hi!
23 >
24 > This question has been addressed previously. See
25 > http://lists.gentoo.org/pipermail/gentoo-dev/2001-May/004613.html
26 >
27 > Note to Everyone:
28 >
29 > site:lists.gentoo.org <search term>
30 >
31 > typed in google is a wonderful way to search the mailing lists archive.
32 >
33 > tod -google, google google
36 > gentoo-dev mailing list
37 > gentoo-dev@g.o