From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Text Menu Installer Idea
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:56:34
1 Okay, I'm writing this mail up to see what people think of the idea of a
2 menu system for installing Gentoo. Now before the mob drags me out and
3 lynches me, I'm not talking about some bloated X11 thing, but something
4 more simple akin to Debian's installer or FreeBSD's sysinstall.
5
6 I tried to help several people today on different IRC networks install
7 Gentoo, one who was totally new to Linux, the other who was very
8 experienced with it, and both had issues with the excessive use of the
9 Command Line. Now I myself am a fan of the command line, and have no
10 problem with installing gentoo via a command line interface, but not
11 everyone likes this.
12
13 Since Gentoo's mantra is about choice, I think a menu-driven system
14 could succeed, or supplement the command line interface, giving the user
15 the choice of going either route. I've taken a brief look at the
16 install manuals, and the basic steps taken are universally similar.
17 Some differences are only in the fdisk setup (depending on your
18 architecture), stage selections (like GRP and Portage's upcoming binary
19 installing ability), and so on. It's really not until the end of the
20 install, right around the kernel installation, where things change,
21 mainly due to the bootloaders used, and final cleanup tasks and such.
22
23 Right now, this is just an idea. I would probably need to create a GLEP
24 for it to get it more cemented, after some logistical ideas get worked
25 out (like whether to use dialog, ncurses, or lsdialog, etc..). However,
26 I think it's an overdue idea, and complete implementation of it will go
27 a long way to making the install process easier for users. So let's
28 start trading ideas on this.
29
30 Debian's Installer can be found here (Source):
31 http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer
32
33 FreeBSD's Sysinstall Source:
34 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/
37 So, Ideas, Thoughts, Comments......Flames?
40 --Kumba
43 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world:
44 small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are
45 elsewhere." --Elrond
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list