From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 55 updated
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 18:57:32
1 On Sunday 17 May 2009, Piotr Jaroszyński wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have just updated GLEP 55 [1], hopefully making it a bit clearer.
5 >
6 > Just FYI, my order of preference of solutions is:
7 >
8 > 1. EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (obviously)
9 > 2. EAPI in the filename with one-time extension change
10 > 3. Easily fetchable EAPI inside the ebuild and one-time extension
11 > change
12
13 Judging from this list, fourth option present in the GLEP is
14 unacceptable for you?
15 4. Easily fetchable EAPI inside the ebuild
16
17 From what I understand, the difference between 3 and 4 is that
18
19 (4) would break pre-glep55 Portage versions that see an ebuild with no
20 metadata cache present if the ebuild uses a future EAPI that
21 introduces changes as described in the "Current behaviour" section.
22 (4) would otherwise keep the current workflow the same except
23 restricting the way the EAPI variable is defined in the ebuild.
24
25 I would argue that most people who are be exposed to repositories that
26 do not carry a metadata cache (overlays) which use new EAPIs also keep
27 their portage version current. I'd say go with option (4) now and by
28 the time EAPI 4 is collected, written up, agreed upon and implemented,
29 enough time went by so we would not have to introduce an artificial
30 delay.
31 And after that, there won't be any delay to avoid breakage anymore.
34 Robert