From: "Thomas Rösner" <Thomas.Roesner@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: new herd: theology
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 12:43:17
1 Hi,
2
3 I would hate to drag this discussion on endlessly, so I promise this
4 will be my only post :).
5
6 Dominique Michel wrote:
7 > Le Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:07:26 -0700,
8 > Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o> a écrit :
11 >> Steve Dibb wrote:
12 >>
13 >>> Dominique Michel wrote:
14 >>>
15 >>>> I fully agree, theology is the worst possible name if the herd will
16 >>>> include
17 >>>> both religious and scientific softwares.
18 >>>>
19 >>> No worries, app-misc/gramps was dropped from the theology herd, and is
20 >>> herdless once again.
21 >>>
22 >> So what's the big problem
23 >> of sticking it into a herd somewhere, a herd that seems to be maintained
24 >> by just one person (beandog in this case)?
27 > The fact at the herd is maintained by one or more peoples have nothing to do
28 > with this. It is about the meaning of the words and consistency. If I put
29 > gramps into theology, I can put gnome into kde, mplayer into media-sound and
30 > grabcartoons into theology.
33 I still fail to see why this is such a big thing if one package which is
34 mainly used in relation to a religion is in a herd called theology. It's
35 not as if the world will come to a shattering halt and chaos will reign.
36 If for some reason the gnome herd adopted fluxbox or the KDE people
37 would take care of HAL, would you object because their herd names don't
38 fit? Even if the alternative was the packet remaining herdless, because
39 no other herd was interested?
40
41 It's not as if this is a giant library, where a book will be lost
42 forever if it's in the wrong category, or like putting ID on the science
43 curriculum. Herds loosely lump related packages together, don't they? I
44 thought they were just infrastructure, not real categories.
45
46 Regards,
47 Thomas
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list