From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: mikemol@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 20:14:12
1 On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 13:31:32 -0400
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
5 > wrote:
6 > > On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:33:59 -0400
7 > > Sylvain Alain <d2racing911@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> The KDE team seems to work on that too :
10 > >> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=134052539215508&w=2
11 > >
12 > > it's actually worth it.
13 > > more user-spread FUD or however you like to call it on the topic
14 > > than I'm not sure if *devs* are actually working on that. I believe
15 > > there's
16 >
17 > Perhaps not official Gentoo devs, but users taking development
18 > initiative to solve a problem in userland. I'm not an official Gentoo
19 > dev, either, but I think it'd be a very bad idea to discourage or
20 > ridicule such initiative. Someone putting in that much effort in light
21 > of all the information already available isn't something that should
22 > be taken lightly!
23
24 I don't want to offend anyone but let's be honest: people start many
25 initiatives, and they are not always right, no matter how many effort
26 is put. I don't want to discourage it but sometimes I dislike
27 the importunity accompanying it.
28
29 Users are free to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm
30 the rest of users. And I'm afraid that too much enthusiasm over mdev
31 will actually cause a number of users to end up being disappointed
32 that one or another magic requiring udev no longer works.
36 > >> Now I understand why some devs are working hard to make Mdev
37 > >> working with OpenRC.
40 > > different, you could as well disable USE=udev and use regular udev.
41 >
42 > > equivalent to KDE/GNOME/whatever without anything? And if it's no
43 >
44 > > But you are aware that KDE/GNOME/whatever+mdev would be practically
45 >
46 > (My reason for replying...looks like a few chunks of text got lost
47 > here.)
48
49 Sorry for the confusion caused to you and the others. You need to read
50 it bottom-to-top. I reversed the line order for Sylvain who seems to
51 prefer reading that way.
54 Best regards,
55 Michał Górny