From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc 0.12 - netifrc/newnet mix-up
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 02:58:19
1 My issue with what we are currently doing is not whether we have a
2 default network provider in the stages or not, but it is just that the
3 netifrc use flag on OpenRC is bogus. OpenRC doesn't need netifrc for any
4 reason.
5
6 I think if we are going to have a default network manager in the
7 stages we should do it by adding a virtual/network-manager then adding
8 that to @system.
9
10 I couldn't find dhcpcd in @system, so I don't think it is in the
11 stages.
12
13 Dhcpcd by default wants to be a standalone network manager, so I also
14 think it is reasonable that if you want to use dhcpcd per interface
15 along with netifrc you should have to make sure both of them (dhcpcd and
16 netifrc) are in @world. You would just have to run
17 emerge --noreplace netifrc dhcpcd.
18
19 William