From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:20:29
1 On Feb 2, 2004, at 3:45 pm, Caleb Tennis wrote:
2 >
3 > This is an awesome GLEP idea, and I'm glad it finally got put into
4 > written
5 > words. The one suggestion I have, which I am sure is up for a large
6 > amount
7 > of criticism, is that I think Gentoo should charge a fee for the use
8 > of this
9 > tree. This is, in my opinion, a premium service, and a I believe it
10 > should
11 > come with a premium price, even if it's as low as 5 dollars per
12 > quarter.
13
14 I hate to nag about this, or seem antagonistic, but it's now 7 months
15 since the Zygot "fork" and controversy. drobbins made several
16 statements during June / July / August of last year that suggested
17 Gentoo would be pursuing a not-for-profit status, however in the last 6
18 months no evidence of legal moves to formalise this has been presented.
19
20 I'll just feel a little more comfortable with the idea of premium-rate
21 Gentoo subscriptions once Gentoo's status has been finalised.
22
23 This posting is NOT intended as flamebait. I am just a user.
24
25 I love Gentoo, it has taught me SO much in the last year - which seems
26 to have rushed by so quickly since I've been using Gentoo - and I'd
27 like all the developers to know that I owe them a debt of thanks for
28 all their hard work on the project. I'm not particularly competent, and
29 I don't know that I'll ever be able to contribute to Gentoo in the way
30 that they have.
31
32 I am sure that any latency on the move towards formal not-for-profit
33 status is unintentional, and personally I don't think I'd mind if
34 Gentoo announced it was it was going to become a commercial entity,
35 because those that have contributed to Gentoo intellectually do deserve
36 rewarding financially. I really value Gentoo for what it has given me
37 but I guess I also value Free Software (tm), too, so I guess I'd just
38 kinda like this cleared up, one way or the other.
39
40 Stroller.
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list