From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, java@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Bugzilla usage for overlays' projects [was: sunrise, a temporary compromise]
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:55:06
1 Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Anders Hellgren wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Stuart Herbert wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>> On 6/23/06, Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>>> I'm amazingly confused about why technical policy decisions (and even
7 >>>>> discussions about them) are being made by devrel in a devrel-specific
8 >>>>> channel. Could someone clear me up on this?
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> Thanks,
11 >>>>> Donnie
12 >>>> Sorry, but I must second this, especially as discussions have also
13 >>>> been continuing that (unlike Mike's discussion) actually included
14 >>>> council members.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> I'm all for folks trying to help resolve the Sunrise issues, but I
17 >>>> feel that it's not devrel's place to be deciding this particular
18 >>>> policy issue, especially when the issue has already been referred to
19 >>>> the council.
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Best regards,
22 >>>> Stu
23 >>>>
24 >> FWIW, there was almost an hour's worth of discussion before the start of
25 >> the log KingTaco posted. As a bystander, my guess is that the discussion
26 >> took place in the devrel channel because a complaint about the use of
27 >> the bugzilla whiteboard by the sunrise folks was brought up in that
28 >> channel. The compromise was made to defuse further escalation to a
29 >> formal complaint to devrel.
30 >>
31 >> /Anders
32 >> -- Anders Hellgren (kallamej)
33 >> Gentoo Forums Administrator
34 >
35 > OK, so - java folks, please, take your java migration overlay bugs
36 > somewhere else from bugzilla. You know very well I had no problem w/
37 > assigning them, I just requested them to be clearly marked as such
38 > (which the users have been doing, thank you for that). Since some
39 > developers consider such use of bugzilla as misuse of Gentoo
40 > infrastructure and have gone so far that they involved devrel in this
41 > discussion, I'm not going to assign those bugs any more.
42 >
43 > Your 'thank you' goes especially to brix, your complaints go to devrel
44 > as a body that proclaimed themselves empowered to decide on acceptable
45 > bugzilla usage. There's no technical difference between using bugzilla
46 > for unofficial java migration overlay hosted on gentooexperimental.org
47 > and using it for unofficial overlay hosted on gentoo-sunrise.org (and
48 > even usage of keywords and status whiteboard for unofficial overlays
49 > counts as a misuse of bugzilla here). Devrel's current policy clearly is
50 > that bugzilla may only be used for official overlays hosted on
51 > overlays.gentoo.org,
54 > Sorry for the inconvenience, not my fault.
57 Umm.... maybe it's just to early in the morning, but I don't see
58 anything in the logs regarding using bugzilla for overlays not on
59 overlays.gentoo.org. I only see references to sunrise specifically, not
60 a blanket statement for all non-overlays.gentoo.org overlays
61
62 Or was this part of a discussion / decision that wasn't on this mailing
63 list...?
64
65 Josh
66 --