From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 14:05:42
1 On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 01:46:56PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 11:51:27 +0100 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > > I'd like it spelt out please.
6 > >
7 > > Here we go:
8 > >
9 > > > So why not start by imposing deadlines upon more important projects
10 > > > like Portage USE deps, [snip]
11 > >
12 > > USE deps can't be used anyway in EAPI=0 because it would break
13 > > current versions of portage. So we need EAPI=1, but you can't say
14 > > putting together version 2 of a spec before version 1 was writte is
15 > > sane. So we need the EAPI=0 spec. Makes it pretty easy to figure out
16 > > why this spec is fairly important.
17 >
18 > I disagree. It's very easy and probably the best way of doing things to
19 > say "If ebuilds want to use slot deps, use deps or blah, they set
20 > EAPI=1. Otherwise, continue as normal.". So far as I'm aware,
21 > everything currently planned for EAPI 1 is an extension, not a change
22 > in behaviour.
23
24 Fair bit more was on the table as potentials for EAPI1; breaking
25 src_compile into src_configure/src_compile, glep33 (eclass2
26 seperation), misc reductions of env vars and tightening of various
27 metadata (RESTRICT for example, formally forbiding the no* form).
28
29 Thats off the top of the head, and just the stuff I've had on hold for
30 EAPI=1. Would expect user/group management (glep27 off the top of the
31 head) would be on the radar also, although thats firmly in pioto's
32 court.
33
34 Either way, when the angle of "do EAPI=1 while waiting for EAPI=0 to
35 be fully defined" was brought up, a vocal subgroup of people initially
36 shot it down.
37 ~harring