From: Austin English <wizardedit@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: openrc@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Providing a `service` scripts that speaks OpenRC and systemd
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 21:27:42
1 (Note: serious discussion, please take systemd trolling elsewhere).
2
3 While having the pleasure of working with some proprietary software
4 recently, I was asked to run `service foo restart`, and was surprised to
5 see:
6 foobar ~ # service foo restart
7 * service: service `foo' does not exist
8
9 Since `systemctl restart foo` works, I had a workaround anyway.
10
11 Talking with Whubbs about it, I found that our service script only
12 supports OpenRC, via rc-service. I looked around, and from what I can
13 tell, most distros ship a service tool for all supported init systems. I.e.,
14 Debian/Ubuntu: supports sysvinit and systemd via init-system-helpers
15 CentOS/Fedora: provides support for systemd via initscripts
16 OpenSUSE: has a working service binary for systemd (according to #suse)
17
18 I'd like to propose moving `service` out of OpenRC and into a separate
19 package that OpenRC and systemd can both use. It's very possible that we
20 could simply package/use another distro's scripts (I haven't evaluated
21 that though).
24 -Austin
25
26 Austin English