From: Austin English <wizardedit@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: openrc@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Providing a `service` scripts that speaks OpenRC and systemd
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 21:27:42
(Note: serious discussion, please take systemd trolling elsewhere).

While having the pleasure of working with some proprietary software
recently, I was asked to run `service foo restart`, and was surprised to
see:
foobar ~ # service foo restart
 * service: service `foo' does not exist

Since `systemctl restart foo` works, I had a workaround anyway.

Talking with Whubbs about it, I found that our service script only
supports OpenRC, via rc-service. I looked around, and from what I can
tell, most distros ship a service tool for all supported init systems. I.e.,
Debian/Ubuntu: supports sysvinit and systemd via init-system-helpers
CentOS/Fedora: provides support for systemd via initscripts
OpenSUSE: has a working service binary for systemd (according to #suse)

I'd like to propose moving `service` out of OpenRC and into a separate
package that OpenRC and systemd can both use. It's very possible that we
could simply package/use another distro's scripts (I haven't evaluated
that though).

--
-Austin

Austin English