From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:34:31
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 09:54 -0600, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > > As I am now not only the Release Engineering lead, but also the x86
3 > > Release Coordinator, I am fielding nearly 100% of these issues.
4 > >
5 > > I DO NOT HAVE THE TIME TO DO OTHER PEOPLE'S QA FOR THEM.
6 >
7 > If you are that overworked, perhaps you should find more people to help
8 > with releng and the duties you have? I've been in a similar position as
9 > yourself where its hard to find good quality folks that stick around,
10 > and then you get used to doing everything yourself. I haven't seen any
11 > emails asking for help or people for releng. This is the first I've
12 > heard of your troubles with not having adequate time for all the duties
13 > you do yourself.
14
15 Really? Did you read -core on October 27th?
16
17 Also, the problem is not so much needing manpower for testing as far as
18 Release Engineering is concerned. It is instead having some method in
19 place where devs actually perform QA on their own packages. A prime
20 example of this is bug #110383. I was always under the impression that
21 if you were adding a flag to a package that affected "system" that it
22 was your responsibility to ensure that "system" still works, rather than
23 passing it off onto the Release Engineering team. Now, I don't know
24 what package it is that is pulling in hal for this user, so it most
25 likely is not hal's fault, but it illustrates the point perfectly.
26
27 > If you need help, please ask for it and at least try and get some of
28 > that load off of you so that we don't take things out of gentoo simply
29 > because of the lack of time.
30
31 I did.
32