From: Peter Volkov <pva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Agenda [WAS: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for June]
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:43:09
1 В Чтв, 12/06/2008 в 09:36 +0200, Markus Ullmann пишет:
2 > The PMS maintainers were withholding information on compatibility
3 > issues they've seen. As such we can't be sure this will pop up again
4 > in the future and so I strongly suggest dismissing this as something
5 > official for gentoo.
6
7 Dismissing does not fix PMS. Since PMS requires some specific
8 knowledge about package manager (PM) internals only few people can
9 decide on this matters and do actual work. I think what council could do
10 is to formalize PMS process and thus move from this "draft" point.
11
12 By formalizing I mean the following: call for and form PMS team. Team
13 must represent portage developers and could paludis and pkgcore. All
14 suggestions for PMS draft must go into bugzilla and after patch for PMS
15 is created PMS team members should vote on that patch. After voting
16 patch is applied or discarded. Until there are open bugs in bugzilla
17 council can not approve PMS.
18
19 Of course this is just a sketch of idea. I'm not expanding it and not
20 trying to discuss details at the moment as to make it viable at least
21 one portage developer should support this idea... But even without
22 portage developers this process at least could clear a bit the
23 situation. For example, currently, PMS team does not include anybody
24 from portage team - official PM team and thus this team can't represent
25 Gentoo interests. So until team which will represent Gentoo interests
26 arise, they'll work on PMS bugs and tell us that PMS is ready we should
27 not spend our time discussing PMS and trying to approve it.
30 Peter.
33 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list