From: Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: libexec directory inconsistency
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 19:45:13
1 Getting that discussion back on top.
2
3 On Samstag, 22. Januar 2011, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
4 > Il giorno sab, 22/01/2011 alle 11.02 -0600, William Hubbs ha scritto:
5 > > Is there a reason for this? If not, would it break things if we start
6 > > using /libexec as well as /usr/libexec?
7 >
8 > More or less and yes, it would create one more root directory that has
9 > no real usage to be there anyway...
10 >
11 > > I noticed that for dhcpcd and openrc we force their LIBEXECDIR to be
12 > > $(get_libdir)/foo, which puts things in different directories
13 > > depending on whether the system is multilib or not.
14 >
15 > Which is wrong, it should be /lib/foo instead, not $(get_libdir), to
16 > follow what udev and other software in Linux has been using for a very
17 > long time now.
18
19 Sounds like we should fix udev ebuild and some ebuilds installing udev rules to
20 not use /$(get_libdir)/udev, but plain /lib/udev.
21
22 I used that in believe that /lib is identical or links to /$(get_libdir) and
23 multilib-strict requires it, but it seems to be intelligent enough to only
24 deny 64-bit libs to go to /lib.
25
26 So proper udev should use /lib/udev, correct?
27
28 Matthias