From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] bugs.g.o: Merging UNCONFIRMED & CONFIRMED into NEW
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 13:52:50
1 On 06/16/2016 09:22, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 14:26:47 +0200 Michał Górny wrote:
3 >> Hello, everyone.
4 >>
5 >> Here's my second RFC wrt bugs.gentoo.org redesign.
6 >>
7 >> Right now we have separate UNCONFIRMED and CONFIRMED states for bugs.
8 >> However, we use the two scarcely. I believe it would be beneficial to
9 >> replace the two with a single NEW state.
10 >>
11 >> Rationale:
12 >>
13 >> 1. Most of developers don't care about the two states, and which one
14 >> bugs are in.
15 >>
16 >> 2. All bugs need to be handled the same, whether they were marked as
17 >> confirmed or not.
18 >>
19 >> 3. We stage bugs through bug-wranglers@ which kinda has a similar
20 >> purpose to the UNCONFIRMED state in other Bugzillas.
21 >>
22 >> 4. Some people who actually care about the two states change them,
23 >> causing unnecessary bugspam.
24 >>
25 >> 5. Some users who think that the state matters get furious about bugs
26 >> staying in UNCONFIRMED for long.
27 >>
28 >> Your thoughts?
29 >
30 > CONFIRMED state is useful, it means that dev or powerful user
31 > confirmed this bug and gives it more value. I'd like to keep it.
32 >
33 > Best regards,
34 > Andrew Savchenko
35
36 +1 here, too. UNCONFIRMED should be the default for new bugs, because
37 sometimes, issues can get reported that are really obscure and, for example,
38 tied to a particular hardware configuration, thus cannot be easily and
39 independently confirmed. It'd be nice if, when replying in a comment, a flag
40 could be made available to automatically to state that "I've encountered this
41 issue, too", and once 2, 3, or 4 of those are logged, Bugzilla automatically
42 changes the state to CONFIRMED, but doesn't bugspam on this specific state change.
43
44 Also, +1 to changing UNRESOLVED to OPEN.
45
46 Don't suppose we can get a RESOLVED::RTFM, can we? :)
47
48 (I'm kidding)
51 Joshua Kinard
52 Gentoo/MIPS
53 kumba@g.o
54 6144R/F5C6C943 2015-04-27
55 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
56
57 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our
58 lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
59
60 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic