From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] explicit -r0 in ebuild filename
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 00:30:38
1 On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 01:06:02AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 17:02:16 -0700
3 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > > > But the PV does.
5 > >
6 > > PV varying first of all, isn't incredibly grand from where I'm
7 > > sitting- yet more any versionator style code has to account for.
8 > > Second, so what? We're talking about 15 ebuilds here. It's not as
9 > > though the ebuilds are completely screwed in this- dealing with the
10 > > PV change for the ebuild is pretty minor.
11 >
12 > But pointless, since it gives no advantage. If there were something to
13 > be gained from what you're proposing then maybe fifteen ebuilds
14 > wouldn't be so big a deal, but there isn't.
15
16 Conversation is going pretty cyclical, so unless *new* points are
17 brought up, I'll be waiting for new commentary.
18
19 Going to reiterate this one more time; the proposal is simple enough;
20 if it's an implicit 0 via cpv parsing, it should *not* be explicitly
21 specified on disk. 'diffball-1.0_alpha0.ebuild' can just as easily be
22 specified as 'diffball-1.0_alpha.ebuild', 'diffball-1.0-r0.ebuild' can
23 just as easily be specified as 'diffball-1.0.ebuild'.
24
25 Reiterating the gain: consistancy on disk, consistancy in dealing with
26 PV/PVR. As you keep point out, PV does vary- having the results of
27 ebuild execution change depending on whether or not you name your
28 ebuild 'diffball-1.0_alpha0.ebuild' or 'diffball-1.0_alpha.ebuild' is
29 *not* a feature, it is what you would classically call a "design
30 misfeature". PVR for 'diffball-1.0-r0.ebuild' being '1.0' instead of
31 '1.0-r0' is yet another argument for punting explicit -r0 on disk-
32 it's a gotcha, design flaw in the format.
33
34 It's a simple tweak, with no real loss of functionality (lots of
35 claims, no single hard proof thus far). As spanky has stated, there
36 *is* a loss of ease of use in a small subset of ebuilds- worst case,
37 .06% ebuilds. Personally, I don't consider that minority worth
38 preserving since preserving that means leaving open several gotchas in
39 ebuild writing, and complicates interactions (both pm and dev).
40
41 So... there it is. Would be rather nice to have ebuild devs weight in
42 on this one, rather then just package manager monkeys also (they're
43 the ones bound most by the change after all). Laid out the advantages
44 to this- kindly lay out the disadvantages, where this makes things
45 worse if you're looking for a response.
46
47 ~harring