From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: brettholcomb@×××××××.net
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Winex-cvs being removed from portage?
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 02:01:41
1 Here's a basic summary from the way I see it from watching the
2 discussion.
3
4 On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 21:42, Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
5 > Good point. Could we know the reason it's being considered? If it's license
6
7 > philosophy. If there are other reasons can we know them and maybe comment on
8 > them, too?
9
10 How about because they asked us to? Essentially, we have been asked to
11 not create an automated process to allow a user to install winex from
12 cvs. The anonymous cvs is there for people to assist in development
13 with winex. Technically, there is nothing stopping us from continuing
14 to provide winex-cvs ebuilds. However, Gentoo is part of a larger
15 community and quite simply, you don't maintain your status as a useful
16 member of the community if you go around pissing off your neighbors. In
17 fact, there is nothing keeping Transgaming from pulling the anonymous
18 cvs access for the winex sources from sourceforge and making it
19 available to subscriber's only.
20
21 > many apps (not just games) that's an important consideration. Yes, we could
22 > get it from Transgaming but then I have to install a non-ebuild app on my
23 > system and I lose the advantages of portage.
24
25 Copy your winex tarballs to /usr/portage/distfiles and emerge
26 winex-transgaming. The ebuild which installs the binary version of
27 winex isn't going anywhere.
28 --
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Developer, Gentoo Linux