From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek.chauhan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Agenda [WAS: One-Day Gentoo Council Reminder for June]
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:02:17
1 On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Patrick Börjesson
2 <psychotical@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2008-06-19 04:09, George Prowse uttered these thoughts:
4 >> In the end, PMS is just a way for them to spread their own agenda and force
5 >> it on both the developers and the users so maybe it would be best for all
6 >> if paludis and it's developers were to concentrate on making paludis for a
7 >> different distro. Trollix may be a good place to start...
8 >
9 > I'm pretty sure "they" have no leverage what so ever to force the Gentoo
10 > community into ANYTHING, so kindly lay off the exaggerations.
11
12 The point is that their replies to the mailing list waste a lot of
13 time and energy since people will *always* reply to them. Even if half
14 the community decides (out of the half that hasn't unsubscribed or
15 left because of them) not to reply to them, someone from the other
16 half will reply, and the thread will again spiral downwards.
17
18 I recommend seeing (at least) the first 5-10 mins of
19 http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4216011961522818645 (posted
20 by Roy Maples in this same thread)
21
22 > If you're
23 > not happy with the way that PMS is developed, fork it. It's open source.
24 > That's the way open source development works; if you're not happy with
25 > something, fix it (iow, do the damn work yourself instead of complaining).
26
27 I completely agree. They should stop pushing it in everyone's faces.
28 We all know PMS exists. When the developer community thinks it's
29 ready, council will approve it.
32 > I'm not a proponent for any side here, but i'm getting mighty fucking
33 > irritated of the personal attacks. I know it's impossible for some
34 > people, and it's probably an unreachable ideal, but could everyone just
35 > think a couple of extra seconds about the technical aspects instead of
36 > just lashing out because someone indirectly calls you an idiot when you
37 > mess up.
38
39 The problem, of course, comes up when one side likes to mix technical
40 replies with personal attacks[1][2][3][4][...].
43 1. http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_23e836c773616f0e816f3c421900e1f1.xml
44 2. http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_3bb49516dc83b9f4d8f80a4e67fa7a84.xml
45 3,4,... Many many more. I don't intend to waste time searching for them.
48 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
49 --
50 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list